Spicy Level: Mild
Gaeng Ka Ree (in Thai) or Yellow Curry is a mild creamy coconut milk based curry with potatoes making it popular with travelers in Thailand who are missing their native food. The yellow curry recipe is quite similar to Indian curries as it is made with the addition of curry powder. This type of curry is traditionally served with a type of cucumber salad. The similarities were in the ingredients – chicken, potatoes, and onions – that form the base of a lot of western-style stews. The thickness of the curry is also similar to many stews and the spiciness of yellow curry is more subdued than many other Thai curries.
|Choice of Proteins
||Yellow Curry Sauce
- Wash and cut white onion and carrot in to small cubes.
- Wash, peel and cut potato lengthwise into quarters (or smaller as desired).
- For chicken and tofu, cut it into bite size. For shrimp, to peel raw shrimp, pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly, make the slit deeper).Lift out the black vein and rinse it out under cold running water.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the meat with Yellow Curry sauce.
- Cook the mixture over a medium heat until the meat is cooked.
- Add water to cover and bring to a boil. Cook until the consistency of the curry is what you prefer. Use less water if you want a shorter cooking time.
- Add the potato, onions, and carrot and cook until just done, but still firm. Adjust seasonings with salt and sugar to taste.