Spicy Level: Mild to Spicy
One of the most famous of all Thai foods, and one of the best soups in the world, is Tom Yum. Tom Yum is the flavors of lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves, fresh Thai chilies, and fresh lime juice, that all combine to create a healthy and soothing broth. Tom Yum can be mild or spicy (more Thai chilies). Tom Yum is served alone or with steamed rice.
|Choice of Proteins
||Kafir lime leaves
||Tom Yum sauce
- Fresh lemongrass,wash and sliced inti 1 inch pieces
- Fresh Galangal ,wash and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Fresh cilantro, wash and finely chop
- Fresh chili,wash and sliced or chopped
- fresh mushroom, rinsed and halved
- Wash and pick kaffir lime leaves by tearing the center stems from the leaves.
- Meat(Protein) wash and cut into bite size pieces .(Chicken)
*To peel raw shrimp,pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly,make the slit deeper). Lift out the black vein.And rinse it out under cold running water.
*Tofu cut into diced coarse 1 inch cubes. And heat the oil in a wok over medium heat .Saute the tofu until golden brown on each side.Remove the tofu from the wok and set them aside on a separate plate lined with the paper towels.
- Bring the water to the boil over medium heat in a sauce pan.
- Lower the heat, add lemongrass kafirr lime leaves and galanga and reduce to high heat to bring back to the boil.
- Lower the heat again to a simmer, add the mushroom ,fresh chili and add Tom Yum Sauce.
- Stir and let simmer for 2 minutes to let the flavors infuse into the broth.Add the Meats or protein ,stir and continue to simmer take about 2-3 minutes or until cooked through and add lime juice Serve out evenly in a bowl ,garnished with cilantro