Spicy Level: Not Spicy
Khao Pad (in Thai) or Thai Fried Rice is the most common version of central Thai stir-fried rice dishes. In Thai, khao means "rice" and pad means "being stir-fried". This dish differs from Chinese fried rice in that it is prepared with Thai jasmine rice instead of regular long-grain rice. It normally contains meat, egg, onions, garlic and sometimes tomatoes. The seasonings, which may include soy sauce, sugar, salt, and the ubiquitous nam pla (fish sauce), are stir-fried together with the other ingredients. The dish is then plated and served with accompaniments like cucumber slices, tomato slices, lime and sprigs of green onion and coriander.
|Choice of Proteins
||Frozen Thai white rice
||Small white onion
- Defrost the frozen rice in a microwave (make sure it's still firm and cold so that it's not too cooked when stir fried).
- wash and thinly cut scallion, white onion and cilantro.
- For chicken and tofu, cut it into bite size. For shrimp, to peel raw shrimp, pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly, make the slit deeper). Lift out the black vein and rinse it out under cold running water.
- Heat 2 tbs of water or oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the garlic sauce, and then protein, saute and toss until it is well coated.
- Push the protein up the sides making a well in the middle and add eggs.
- Scramble eggs for 1 minute in middle of pan then, add onion and scallions and incorporate all ingredients together, stir frying for another minute.
- Add rice and other ingredients. Turn over rice with ingredients several times to coat and stir frying for 2-3 minutes. You want the rice to begin to have a toasted smell, making sure that all the ingredients are constantly being moved around the pan for even cooking. If your pan seems to have cooled down to the point where the ingredients are no longer sizzling, you may need to turn the heat up slightly.
- Transfer to serving platter.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, lime wedge, and additional scallion if desired.