Spicy Level: Moderate
Ka Prao (in Thai) or Basil Sauce Stir Fry is one of the most beloved Thai street classic food dishes. It is very popular in Thailand and a simple dish that any restaurants in Thailand know how to make it right. It is surprisingly easy to make considering how satisfyingly delicious this dish can be. The key ingredient is Thai holy basil which is native to Southeast Asia and very difficult to find in the U.S. The basil has a unique flavor described as anise- and licorice-like and slightly spicy. Its flavor is more stable under high or extended cooking temperatures than that of sweet basil. Gai Ka Prao can be mild or spicy (more Thai chilies). Gai Ka Prao is typically served with steamed rice.
|Choice of Proteins
||Hot chili pepper
||Spicy basil sauce
- Peel,Wash and thinly sliced white onion.
- Wash and remove basil leaves from the stem.
- Finely chopping the garlic rather than mince it.
- Wash and finely chopped fresh long chili.
- Wash and trim off the stem of snow peas,and remove the "String"
- Wash and cut into bite size of Meat (Chicken , Beef)or( minced chicken)
*To peel raw shrimp,pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly,make the slit deeper).Lift out the black vein.And rinse it out under cold running water.
*Tofu cut into diced coarse 1 inch cubes. Heat the oil in a wok over medium heat .Saute the tofu until golden brown on each side.Remove the tofu from the wok and set them aside on a separate plate lined with the paper towels.
- A wok over meduim heat ,add the oil,garlic and onion, and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chilies and cook for another minute.Reduce heat to medium- high.
- Add Meats or Proteins and cook ,stirring to incorporate until meats is cooked through.
- Add the sauce,Stir-fry for another minute and deglaze the pan with water. Because your pan is over high heat, the liquid should cook off very quickly .
- Add vegetable and Basil, and Stir-fry until wilted.
- Serve with Rice on the side.or Serve over rice.
- Top each portion with Fresh basil.