Spicy Level: Not Spicy
Khao Pad Ka Prao (in Thai) or Basil Fried Rice is a variety of Central Thai stir-fried rice dishes. It uses Basil sauce or Pad Ka Prao ingredients for the unique Basil sauce flavors.
|Frozen Thai white rice
|Thai chili pepper
- Defrost the frozen rice in a microwave (make sure it's still firm and cold so that it's not too cooked when stir fried).
- wash all vegetables. Thinly cut scallion and white onion
- For chicken and tofu, cut it into bite size. For shrimp, to peel raw shrimp, pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly, make the slit deeper). Lift out the black vein and rinse it out under cold running water.
- Heat 2 tbs of water or oil in a wok or large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the basil sauce, and then protein, saute and toss until it is well coated.
- Add rice and then all other ingredients except basil. Turning over rice with ingredients several times to coat and stir frying for 2-3 minutes. You want the rice to begin to have a toasted smell, making sure that all the ingredients are constantly being moved around the pan for even cooking. If your pan seems to have cooled down to the point where the ingredients are no longer sizzling, you may need to turn the heat up slightly.
- Add basil, quickly stir and turn off the heat.
- Transfer to serving platter. Garnish with additional basil and scallion if desired.