Spicy Level: Mild
Pad Prik Khing is a type of Thai curry that is drier than other Thai curries such as red curry as it is fried in oil and does not contain liquid coconut milk. Sometimes, instead of, or in addition to frying oil, coconut milk is heated until it turns to oil for added taste. The paste is a thick curry presenting a vivid red color due to red chili peppers. Confusingly enough, the Thai name indicates that ginger (khing) is used in this dish, which in fact is not the case. Prik Khing is very simple to make and only requires a few ingredients. If you are a fan of curry, you definitely need to try Prik Khing.
|Choice of Proteins
||Fresh long Chili
||Kaffir lime leaves
||Prik King sauce
- Wash and slice fresh long chili thin, lengthwise.
- Wash and cut ends of a whole stings beans,and cut beans into shorter lengths
- Wash and pick kaffir lime leaves by tearing the center stems from the leaves,and some kaffir lime leaves shredded
- Meat(Protein) wash and cut into bite size pieces .(Chicken)
*To peel raw shrimp,pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly,make the slit deeper).Lift out the black vein.And rinse it out under cold running water.
*Tofu cut into diced coarse 1 inch cubes. And heat the oil in a wok over meduim heat .Saute the tofu until golden brown on each side.Remove the tofu from the wok and set them asideon a seperate plate lined with the paper towels.
- Boil the green bean until cooked through. Soak them in the cool water and drain the water away
- Heat the oil, Add the Meat and stir-fry until cook through.
- Add Prik Khing sauce and stir it becomes aromatic .
- Add green beans and half of the sliced kaffir lime leaves. Stir until well combined.
- Serve on the plate. Garnish with sliced Fresh long chili and the remaining shredded kaffir lime leaves.
Tip: To keep Fresh green color of the green beans,add a small amount of salt and oil into the boiling water before blanching.