Spicy Level: Not Spicy
Gaeng Hung Lae is one of the most popular Northern Thai curries. It is influenced by Indian and Burmese curries. There is no way in a recipe to communicate what’s going on in here; a thick red chili paste marinate, that bursts in orange turmeric color, provides the perfect seen to the tender, almost falling apart, pork meat. If you like curries with the thickness and complexity of the Massaman Curry, you will enjoy this salty, sweet and sour dish.
|Choice of Proteins
||(curry paste, tamarind, soy sauce, sugar)
- Wash, peel and finely chop garlic and ginger.
- For chicken, wash and cut the meat into bite size. For pork belly, wash and cut into 3cm (1.5″) cubes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the meat, garlic and pineapple with Hunglae sauce.
- Fry the mixture in a pan on low heat until the fat renders out.
- Add ginger and mix well.
- Add water to cover.
- Simmer on low heat for about 30 - 60 minutes or until pork is soft and sauce is thick.