Spicy Level: Spicy
Pad Khee Mao (in Thai) or Drunken Noodles (khee mao means drunkard) is a stir fried noodle dish very similar to Pad See Ew, but with a slightly different flavor profile. It is normally made with flat wide rice noodles, soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, meat or seafood. Chili, fresh black pepper pods and holy basil give rise to its distinctive spiciness. Several theories exist on the naming of this dish. Two versions we like are they are called “drunken noodles” because it is a hangover cure and the other is the name was earned because it is so spicy that you have to drink a lot of beer to cool down your mouth.
|Choice of Proteins
||Fresh long chili
- Fresh wide rice noodles.
*If your fresh rice noodles come compressed together, take some time to separate them. Tips: it's best not to perfectly separate them. Leaving them clumped into 2 or 3 noodles will mean less breakage. Also, it helps to leave them out of the refrigerator for a few hours beforehand or to open the packet and microwave them a few seconds. Getting a helper to assist you with this task makes it much faster and easier.
- Wash and peel cut white onion into sliced.
- Wash and remove basil leaves from stem.
- Wash and cut cherry tomatoes halves.
- Wash and cut fresh long chili slice.
- Wash and cut into bite size of Meat (Chicken , Beef)
* To peel raw shrimp,pull off the head and legs and leave the last tail. De-vein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine (To butterfly,make the slit deeper).Lift out the black vein.And rinse it out under cold running water.
- In a large saute pan, heat oil over high heat. When you see a wisp of white smoke, add garlic and saute until it's light brown.
- Add eggs and fresh chilies and lightly scramble the eggs until they're barely set, about a minute.
- Add meats and onion, folding constantly until cooked
- Add the flat noodles, basil leaves, tomatoes and sauce and toss to combine for about 3 minutes. to scrape the bits off
- the bottom before they burn. Cook for 1 additional minute until the noodles are cooked and coated well. Serve hot.