Nam Tok Nuo (Spicy Beef Salad)
Ingredients (two servings):
- Beef Skirt Steak - 4 oz.
- Shallots - 2 shallots
- Vegetable Oil - 2 oz.
- Cherry Tomatoes - 4 tomatoes
- Mint Leaves - 1 stem
- Kale - 2 stems
- Ground Chilies - 1 tbs
- Ground Toasted Rice - 2 oz.
- Lime - 1 lime
- Nam Tok Sauce (Sugar and Fish Sauce) - 4 oz
- Peel the shallots and finely slice them, slice the tomatoes and kale leaves (removed from the stems) and pluck a handful of mint leaves (and slice them if preferred).
- Trim off any excess fat from beef.
- Heat the oil in a sauce or large pan over a medium heat. Add the beef and cook for 2-4 minutes on each side, until the beef is medium rare or medium (or well done as desired). Set the cooked beef aside for 2 -3 minutes, then thinly slice it.
- In a mixing bowl, add the sliced beef, toasted rice, ground chilies, shallots, mint leaves, kale and Nam Tok sauce. If desired, also add lime juice. Toss everything together.
- Garnish with the remaining mint leaves.