Gaeng Masssaman Gai (Chicken Massaman Curry)
Ingredients (two servings):
- Chicken Thigh or Breast (skinless, boneless) - 0.75 lb.
- Pearl Onion - 2 onions
- Small potatoes with mixed colors - 2 potatoes
- Baby Carrot - 4 carrots
- Coconut Milk - 1 can
- Massaman Curry Paste - 2 oz.
- Massaman Herbs/Spices (cinnamon, annex, black peppercorn, curry powder) - 0.5 oz.
- Tamarind Reduction - 2 oz.
- Massaman Sauce (optional) - 2 oz. (fish sauce and palm sugar)
- Peanuts - 1 oz.
- Fried Crispy Onion - 1 tbs.
- Cut the mixed small potatoes, carrots and onions into bite-sized pieces and thinly slice the chicken breast.
- Add water (or chicken stock if preferred) to a sauce pan (or a pot) and turn on to medium high.
- Stir in curry paste and Massaman herbs/spices, cook until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- Add half of the coconut milk. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 -6 minutes, until the oil separates and the reddish oil starts to float to the top.
- Add the chicken, stirring frequently for about 5 - 6 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Then, stir in the remaining coconut milk.
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 -3 minutes. Stir gently until the ingredients are mixed well.
- Add a portion of Massaman Sauce and Tamarind Reduction, then gently stir for 1-2 minutes. Taste the curry and add additional Massaman Sauce if desired. Turn off the heat.
- Garnish with peanuts and fried crispy onion.